Who is Paul Hammond and what is his interest in Bahaism: Keel University, British Imperial policy and the Bahaim nexus
Death to Haifan Bahaism
2009-02-20 03:33:00 UTC
"First, I do believe, based on Hammond's refusal to say why he is
interested in the Baha'i Faith and his frequent defense of the AO,
that he is probably working for them."

-- Eric Stetson, September 2003

Picture purportedly of Paul "Andrew" Hammond
http://deathtobahaism-whoisthelimeyparrot.blogspot.com/

If one is to believe anything Paul "Andrew" Hammond says, this is
where he studied according to his own info on his post (i.e. having a
lecturer in neuroscience, named Dr Peter Hammond). 3 bits of info so
make sure to scroll all the way down.

(this woman's bio mentions Peter Hammond as her superivisor)
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ps/people/NEdelstyn/index.htm

Dr Nicky Edelstyn
BSc, PhD (Keele)
TitleSenior Lecturer in Cognitive Neuroscience
Phone(+44) 01782 734318 Internal: 34318
Fax(+44) 01782 583387
***@psy.keele.ac.uk
RoomDorothy Hodgkin Building 1.94
RolesDirector of Learning and Teaching, Year 1 Tutor, Dissertation
Module Leader.
ContactTry my office or fix an appointment by email

I was appointed as a Lecturer at Keele University in September 1999.
Previously I worked as a research fellow in the MRC Neuropsychology
Unit, Oxford, School of Psychology, Birmingham University and The
University Department of Psychiatry also at Birmingham University. My
first degree, a BSc (Dual Hons) in Biology and Psychology was
obtained from the University of Keele (1984) and my PhD from the
Department of Communication and Neuroscience, University of Keele,
(1988), under the supervision of Dr Peter Hammond and entitled:
‘Recovery of texture-sensitive striate neurones‘.

Interestingly, the university of Keel has a history with the Baha'is
(founding vc was one of Shoghidelics tutors).
http://www.oxfordbahais.com/history.html

Oxford and the Baha’i Faith
The association between the Baha’i Faith and the city of Oxford
extends back almost a century.

The most significant event in this association was the visit of Abdu’l-
Baha to Oxford on 31st December 1912. At the invitation of Canon T.K.
Cheyne, D.Litt, D.D, he spoke to a large and varied audience in the
library at Manchester College (now Harris Manchester College). The
title of his talk was “Aspects of Nature and Divine Philosophy”, and
he spoke about the two branches of human knowledge, science and
religion. Science had begun to enable mankind to escape from the
physical constraints imposed by nature, and religious knowledge and
understanding now needed to catch up. The fundamental basis of
religion was love, but this had been forgotten. Religions must unite
to create peace.

The lecture, chaired by Dr Eslin Carpenter, Principal of Manchester
College, was extensively reported in the Oxford Times of January 3rd
1913 and in the Oxford Chronicle the following day. After the event,
Abdu’l-Baha took tea with Canon and Mrs Cheyne at their home at South
Elms, Parks Road, and then took a train back to London. A month later
Canon Cheyne wrote to an acquaintance, John Craven:
Why I am a Baha’i is a large question, but the perfection of the
character of Baha’u’llah and Abdu’l-Baha is perhaps the chief reason…I
am one of the Baha’is who remain in their mother church.

Other distinguished theologians were also affected by Abdu’l-Baha’s
visit. Dr Carpenter wrote in his 1913 book Comparative Religion,“Has
Persia, in the midst of her miseries, given birth to a religion, which
will go round the world?” In the same year the Master of Balliol
College, Dr Benjamin Jowett, told his colleague, Professor Lewis
Campbell, that the Baha’i Faith was “the greatest light that has come
into the world since the time of Jesus Christ”.

Abdu’l-Baha was, in turn, impressed with Balliol, choosing the College
for the undergraduate studies of his grandson, Shoghi Effendi Rabbani,
who came up to Oxford in 1920 to study the philosophy of politics. His
personal tutor was AD Lindsay, who was to stand in the famous
“Appeasement” Oxford by-election of 1936 and who later served as Keele
University’s founding Vice-Chancellor. Shoghi Effendi impressed his
fellow undergraduates by his enthusiasm for well-written English
prose, and by the care he put into translating his great-grandfather’s
writings. These skills, honed at Oxford, were to serve him well when
Abdu’l-Baha, who died unexpectedly in 1921, named the young man in his
will as “Guardian” of the Baha’i Faith. One of Shoghi Effendi’s
contemporaries, future Nobel Laureate Dorothy Hodgkin, later served as
the first Senior Member of the Oxford University Baha’i Society,
although not a Baha’i herself.

Oxford has continued to be an important centre of Baha’i activity
since that time. The first Irish believer, the Archdeacon of Clonfert,
George Townshend, was an undergraduate at Hertford. The local Baha’i
community was strengthened during the late 1940s by the arrival of
families, such as the Hainsworths and Jenkersons, and individuals,
such as Constance Langdon-Davies, an artist who was an associate of
arguably the two most important Western artists to embrace the Baha’i
Faith during the 20th century, Bernard Leach and Mark Tobey. The
city’s first Baha’i Local Spiritual Assembly was elected in 1949, and
Oxford’s first Baha’i Centre (unhappily now closed) opened in December
1954. Many of the world’s most prolific Baha’i writers have studied
here, and when the Universal House of Justice was first elected in
1963, two former Oxford residents, David Hofman and Ian Semple, were
among its nine members.

Oxford has also sheltered a number of Baha’i refugees from persecution
in other states. The University has indeed played a distinguished part
in ameliorating such persecution. Prof. Gilbert Murray made an appeal
to save Baha’is in Iran from mass executions and forced conversions
planned for 1955, while in the early 1980s almost all the Heads of
Oxford colleges wrote to the then UN Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim,
urging the world body to intervene in the wave of persecution of
Baha’is that followed the proclamation of the Islamic Republic of
Iran.

Today the Baha’i communities in Oxford and the county of Oxfordshire
are among the most vibrant in the UK. There are Local Spiritual
Assemblies in Oxford and Abingdon, and Baha’is live in over 20 other
towns and villages in the county. They are active in a wide range of
international, charitable and cultural activities. The Faith is
represented on the county’s Standing Advisory Committee on Religious
Education, and Baha’is played a seminal part in the establishment of
the Rio Convention spin-off Agenda 21 in the county’s five Districts.
There is a flourishing Oxford University Baha’i Society, and many
children from Baha’i families in the county have attended the regional
Baha’i Sunday School, the Thomas Breakwell School (Thames Valley), or
children’s classes in the city and its environs. There is a large
Baha’i section in the Wolvercote Cemetery, and Oxfordshire has grown
to be probably the most significant centre of Baha’i publishing in the
English-speaking world, as the home of Baha’i-owned publishers
Oneworld Publications in Summertown and George Ronald Publishers in
Kidlington.

George Ronald Publishers, published this book, which stemmed from a
doctoral thesis as the university of Keele.

Human Rights, the UN & the Bahá'ís in Iran

(NWO450 SC) Nazila Ghanea

A comprehensive account of the interaction between the United Nations
human rights system and one human rights situation --that of the
Bahá'ís in Iran. The Bahá'í community in Iran is the largest religious
minority in the country yet does not feature in its constitution. This
survey traces the course of the human rights of the Bahá'ís after the
1979 Islamic Revolution and follows the Bahá'í case as it is taken up
by the United Nations Commission on Human Rights. The main actors in
this study include governmental representatives at the United Nations,
Sub-Commission and Treaty-body experts, non-governmental
organizations, the Special Representative appointed to monitor Iran's
human rights situation, the Special Rapporteur on Religious
Intolerance and other Special Rapporteurs who have covered it within
their thematic mandates. Nazila Ghanea's study provides the scene, the
setting and the actors in this legal, political, social, cultural and
religious drama, and observed within the United Nations human rights
system. It is this drama that this book examines in its theoretical,
legal, institutional and political dimension.

Nazila Ghanea has been lecturing for the past decade and is currently
the MA Convenor of the MA in Understanding and Securing Human Rights
at the University of London, Institute of Commonwealth Studies. She is
a graduate of Leeds and Keele Universities in the United Kingdom. Her
research and publications have focused on freedom of religion or
belief, the UN human rights machinery and particularly the Commission
on Human Rights, religious minorities in the Middle East, diplomacy
and human rights and the human rights of women. She has participated
in over fifteen UN fora around the world as consultant, delegation
member or independent expert. The research for this publication
stemmed from her doctoral research at the University of Keele.
George Ronald, Oxford; ISBN 0-853988-479-4 Softcover; 640 pages; 21.0
x 13.8 cm
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 05:05:30 UTC
http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=5608&discussionID=273027

PaulHammond
7/18/2003 11:13 AM 1 out of 7

Another poster here has mentioned what he thinks was the purpose of
University Baha'i Societies, in the following terms:

from my own experience as an LSA member, our community supported the
Baha'i Society in our Local University. However it was always Baha'i
students who run and controled the society as a platform for teaching
the Faith. The LSA. supported them and sponsored them financially with
literature and at times organised speakers for some of their meetings.

This suggests that the major purpose of University Baha'i societies is
as a proselytisation tool.

However, in my experience the University Baha'i Societies that I have
been personally involved in, this have not operated in this manner.

Sure, a major aim of a Baha'i Society is to let people know who
Baha'u'llah was, but at Keele and Liverpool, I would say that we saw
our aim more as a society that would foster debate about Baha'i
principles, and invite speakers that would lead students to think
about the effect and usefulness of Baha'i principles on society in
general.

Certainly, at Keele, those of us non-Baha'is who were involved in the
running of the society had a great deal of respect for Baha'i
principles, and for our Baha'i friends who had taught us about these
principles in the first place.

Also, it was important to us to ensure that we were seperate from the
local LSA in the area - aside from anything else, there is a problem
with accepting funding from the Student Union if the Baha'i Society is
thought of as a Baha'i organisation, seeing as how the University
Union is a *non-Baha'i* organisation, and Baha'is aren't allowed to
accept outside funding.

Anyway, the Baha'i Society of Keele University, during the time that I
was associated with it, did not see its primary aim as being "the
gaining of converts to the Baha'i Faith" - and, when we met people who
ran other Baha'i Societies, in other universities, they seemed to
think similarly, that the main aim was rather to promote awareness of
the Baha'i Faith, and the Baha'i Principles, rather than as some kind
of "University Branch of the LSA".

In Liverpool, there was a much closer involvement of the LSA with the
running of the Guild Baha'i Society.

Does anyone else have any opinions and experiences of running
University Baha'i societies, and the aims that should be relevant to
such organisations?

Paul

errol9
7/18/2003 12:28 PM 2 out of 7

Inclosed is documented evidence that Baha'is students are presented
with a handbook to help them teach the Baha'i faith when in
University.

Errol

The Baha'i Student Handbook � A. Activities
... As to teaching work in colleges and universities, this is very
important, for students as a whole are open-minded and little
influenced by tradition. ...

http://bahai-library.org/compilations/universities.html

Report on Scholarship, part 2
... There is much scope for a coordinated and systematic teaching
campaign at universities, where there are many receptive
students. ...

http://bahai-library.org/resources/scholarship.report2.html

PaulHammond
7/19/2003 7:47 AM 3 out of 7

Inclosed is documented evidence that Baha'is students are presented
with a handbook to help them teach the Baha'i faith when in
University.

Errol

The Baha'i Student Handbook � A. Activities
... As to teaching work in colleges and universities, this is very
important, for students as a whole are open-minded and little
influenced by tradition. ...

http://bahai-library.org/compilations/universities.html

Oh, I have met Seena - a fascinating, intense and intellectual person.
I'm pleased to see that he has been doing useful things with the
discussions that he had in some of the meetings that I attended.

You'll note, however, that his compilation was produced in 1997. I
guess, some people have been thinking systematically about the nature
and status of Univeristy Societies, and what they can and can't
achieve.

I may go back and read Seena's compilation more throughly later on. I
was going to say that I had never seen this handbook, but of course,
so much is clear since it was written *after* I met the guy, and my
experience as a non-Baha'i officer of a Baha'i society was from the
years 1989 to 1994.

Do you have any evidence that Seena's compilation is routinely
presented to Baha'i students attending university? Or is this like
your assertions about the frequency of crucifictions in ancient Rome,
just something you personally think is probable?

Paul

PaulHammond
7/19/2003 8:03 AM 4 out of 7

I think that if we are going to look at the Baha'i Student Handbook
for inspiration, perhaps Appendix D, which contains sample intros for
Baha'i Society, would be more relevant for our purposes:

http://www.breacais.demon.co.uk/abs/bsh/d_intros.htm

(or here for the frames version, then click on Appendix D in the side
bar)

Number 1 seems very familiar - I believe that is the intro we had on
our publicity at Keele University.

Paul

errol9
7/19/2003 8:55 AM 5 out of 7

http://www.breacais.demon.co.uk/abs/bsh/d_intros.htm

Absolutly wonderful no mention of Baha'u'llah or what is the purpose
of the Baha'i Faith.is? I am sure the teaching commities were doing
handstands for joy over this paper.

No wonder no students signed declaration cards.
Just an example of the whole of the UK Baha'is.
After 100 years they have less than 5000 members (and decreasing
rapidly) in a country of 70 million people. 85 --95 % of them all
agnostic/atheistic

Errol

geron
7/19/2003 8:46 PM 6 out of 7

Greetings Errol,

You said:
"Just an example of the whole of the UK Baha'is.
After 100 years they have less than 5000 members (and decreasing
rapidly) in a country of 70 million people. 85 --95 % of them all
agnostic/atheistic"

My response:
Just curious, where may I find these statistics? Are they available
from an internet source, or are they part of census data?

Also, "decreasing rapidly"? Really? How do you know this?

Once again, just curious.

Warm Regards,
Geron

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?pageID=2&discussionID=273027&messages_per_page=4

PaulHammond
7/20/2003 10:08 AM 7 out of 7

Errol,

I am becoming a little curious as to what you, as an ex-Baha'i, think
that University Baha'i Societies *should* be like.

To begin with, you were making a song and dance about the idea of me
being a member of one, when I was not a Baha'i. Eventually, you
discover that there is no rule that prevents non-Baha'is from being
members, or even officers of University Baha'i Societies, although
there does appear to be a concern for Baha'i LSAs to have a final say
in the conduct of University Societies. So, surely you should be happy
to find that my membership of such a Society was not, in fact, any
kind of breach of any kind of rule at all, since most Baha'i societies
exist to spread awareness and debate of Baha'i Principles, and not
primarily to gain converts for the Faith.

Instead, the tune changes, and you start to berate Baha'i Societies
for "not being Baha'i enough."

Now, if Baha'i Societies were to become more like, say, Muslim and
Christian societies on campus - a way for muslims and Christians to
meet their fellow religionists, and for students to organise the
worship of their religion - well, there wouldn't be a lot of point in
forming Uni Societies to do this - most Unis, after all, are unlikely
to contain more than a dozen Baha'is, and these could quite easily
meet informally, without printing any posters, or hiring any halls, in
each other's rooms, and in contact with the local LSA.

I assure you, in case you are worried, that Baha'i Societies do indeed
spread awareness of the Baha'i Faith - each time they hold an event,
posters will go up around the campus with the name "Baha'i Society"
written on them. At Fresher's Fair, lots of people deciding which
societies to join that year will come up, having never heard the name
before, and say "What's this Baha'i stuff all about then?", and then
we will explain that Baha'i is actually a religion, and it preaches
tolerance, equality, and all the rest.

This, indeed, is how I heard about the Baha'i Faith myself - and since
then, my association with Baha'is has led me to read and learn much
about the Faith since then - to such an extent that I was twice near
declaring, as I am sure I have told you before more than once.

In conclusion, Baha'i Societies really do work, and they really do
spread awareness of the Baha'i Faith and Teachings, even if gaining
converts is not their first priority. I myself am evidence of that
fact.

Paul
Aor
2009-03-01 09:26:07 UTC

Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 05:06:17 UTC
http://www.breacais.demon.co.uk/abs/associate/a22/a22-03.htm

ABS(ESE) SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP REPORTS
Membership in the Special Interest Groups is free to all ABS (ESE)
members. To find out more about their activities please contact the
person named at the end of each report.
SCIENCE INTEREST GROUP: FIRST MEETING
The first meeting of the Science group was held at Keele University on
15th February 1997. The day started with a paper by Mr Paul Hammond on
the theme of "Scientific and Religious Knowledge". This paper
presented some fundamental ideas on the commonality and connections
between science and religion. The second paper by Dr Masoud Afnan was
titled "Working with Human Embryos - Dilemmas and Opportunities". This
paper offered a brief glimpse into one of the more controversial areas
of science, where the moral and ethical issues are paramount, and
religious belief is certainly relevant to many people. Dr Masoud
outlined the technical issues involved, before discussing his personal
approach as a Baha'i to the moral dimensions of the field. After lunch
Dr Roger Kingdon presented a paper on "Two Logical Proofs of the
Existence of God", with specific reference to the work by William
Hatcher "Logic amp; Logos". This was the most intellectually demanding
paper of the day with formal logic and higher maths liberally
sprinkled throughout the theological content of the paper! The final
paper of the day was by Dr Munirih Mali on. "A Baha'i Perspective on
Drug Misuse". This paper reviewed the medical and social nature of
drug abuse in the UK and offered some insights from the Baha'i
Scriptures which served to highlight the severity of the problem in
termS of its human costs.

Approximately 24 people attended the meeting, from a wide range of
backgrounds, which emphasised the potentially wide appeal of the
group. Significantly more interest was expressed via e-mail in the
meeting, including many from abroad who stated how they would have
liked to attend. Most people present expressed a keen desire to see
the group continue and for further meetings, although with greater
publicity being required and at an earlier date.

In parallel with the aim of general meetings for presenting papers the
Science group now has an email discussion fonum, with over 80
subscribers. The active role of this e-mail list should significantly
enhance the scope and maturation of the Science special interest
group, (particular thanks are due to James Herbert for arranging the
list).

Reported by Robert Ghanea-Hercock

INTERNATIONAL LAW AND POLITICS INTEREST GROUP:
FOURTH BIPOLIG CONFERENCE

The fourth conference of The Baha'i International Politics and Law
Special Interest Group (BIPOLIG) of the ABS was held on the weekend of
7-8 December 1996 at the London School of Economics and Political
Science.

As usual the conference welcomed student speakers to speak on their
research, as well as established academics and professionals. This
conference's student speakers consisted of Steven Powles' talk on "The
Death Penalty - A Violation ofHuman Rights" and Miata Conton's well-
informed and animated talk on "The Notion of Human Rights".~

Other speakers included Diana Perry-Elby, Dermont Knox, Dan Wheatley
and Kishan Manocha. Diana Perry-Elby's paper on "Negotiation and
Diplomacy as a means of Protecting Human Rights" was based mainly on
the case study of negotiations between the US and China on China's
'Most Favoured Nation' status in 1994, and was followed by a workshop
to discuss the relevance of consultation to present day political
processes.

Dermont Knox spoke of "A New Era for Civil Society in the United
Nations" drawing on his personal experiences as one of the Baha'i
representatives at the recent Habitat conference in Turkey.

"World Federalism: Viable Option or Aspirational Ideal?² was the title
of Dan Wheatley's enthusiastic presentation which combined the World
Federalist and Baha'i proposals for a world federal system. This
session was later followed by a workshop on the need for a Permanent
International Criminal Court.

Kishan Manocha presented the paper "The Validity ofHuman Rights - A
Baha'i Approach" which had been written jointly by himself and Morten
Bergsmo. This detailed study sketched the philosophical and historical
foundations ofhuman rights and linked them to the Baha'i writings and
the individual search for truth.

Plans for the fifth BIPOLIG conference are already underway. The theme
of the next conference is 'Ethics' and Politics' and it will be held
at the London School of Economics on the weekend of 14-15 June 1997.
One of the confirmed speakers is Professor Charles Lerche from
Belgium, who will speak on "Ethics, Statesmanship and Globalization".
For further details please contact the organisers at 3 Heather Glade,
Madeley, Cheshire, CW3 9EP, tel. 01782 751824, e-mail
***@cc.keele.ac.uk (after 25 April 1997) or e-mail
***@lse.ac.uk.

Reported by Naz Ghanea-Hercock

RELIGIOUS STUDIES INTEREST GROUP:
TWELFTH IRFAN COLLOQUIUM A SUCCESS

The Twelfth Irfan Colloquium was held December 6-8, 1996, in Newcastle-
upon-Tyne, United Kingdom. The colloquium was jointly sponsored by the
Haj Mehdi Arjmand Memorial Fund, an institution established in the
memory of a Persian Baha'i whose knowledge of the Jewish, Christian,
and Islamic scriptures was legendary, and the Religious Studies
Interest Group of ABS (ESE).

The participants enjoyed nine presentations during the weekend. Friday
evening Dr. lraj Ayman spoke on "The Mission of Religion: A Baha'i
Perspective," a study of some sixty passages in the Baha'i scriptures
that state different purposes of religion. Saturday morning Nuba
Sabour-Wollmington presented and commented on her provisional
translation of Baha'u'llah's Surat al-ism (Sura of the Name), a tablet
revealed in 1867. Her presentation was followed by Moojan Momen's "The
God of Baha'u'llah," which described Baha'u'llah's concept of God and
its ability to reconcile Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and some Buddhist
notions of the Ultimate. Saturday afternoon began with Robert
Stockman's "Millennialism in the Baha'i Faith: Progressive and
Catastrophic Themes" which reviewed the different aspects of the
Baha'i vision of the future and noted that most were optimistic and
progressive. Fariba Hedayati then spoke about "Immortality and the
Afterlife: Some Christian, Baha'i, and Modem Western Secular
Perspectives." One part of her paper discussed cryonics (freezing
people at the point of death in the hope that in the future they can
be thawed and revived) and its possible implications for Baha'i
theology. The afternoon closed with Stephen Lambden's presentation on
"Christianity and the Baha'i Faith: An Historical and Doctrinal
Overview."

Sunday morning Stephen Lambden offered a second talk, on Baha'u'lIah's
Tablet to Pope Pius Ix. The paper offered an excellent overview of the
context of the Tablet's revelation as one of a series of messages
penned by Manifestations to religious and political leaders and
surveyed the Tablet's contents, including possible allusions to the
First Vatican Council (1869). Seena Fazel then spoke on "Understanding
Exc1usivist Baha'i Texts," noting that there was a series of
approaches to apparently exclusivist passages in Baha'u'llah's
writings that minimize their tendency to exclude non-Baha'is. The
colloquium ended Sunday afternoon with Ismael Velasco's "In Quest of
the Ocean of True Understanding: The Mystical Paradigm of
Baha'u'llah's Book of Certitude." It noted the importance of earlier
tablets by Baha'u'llah in understanding the Kitab-i-Iqan, that the
Iqan's literary paradigm is that of a mystic journey of the seeker,
and that the paradigm shaped Baha'u'lIah's replies to the questions
that prompted the revelation ofthe Iqan.

The Haj Mehdi Arjmand Memorial Fund is in the process of collecting
the papers delivered at the colloquium for eventual publication.
Meanwhile, a book of the abstracts is available for US$3 from the
Research Office, Baha'i National Centre, Wilmette, IL 60091. Checks
should be drawn on a US bank and made out to the "Baha'i Services
Fund. "

The next Conference of the Religious Studies Interest Group will take
place on 4-6 July 1996 in Manchester: the theme is "World Religions
and the Baha'i Faith". For further details or to register please
contact Moojan Momen on tel: 44-(0)176-7627626 or bye-mail:
***@Northil1.Demon.co.uk.
Aor
2009-03-01 09:26:20 UTC

Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 05:09:27 UTC
[...]

Compilation: Bahá'í Activities in Universities
originally published in
The Bahá'í Student Handbook, Second Edition
by Seena Fazel et al., 1997

Appendix A: Bahá'í Activities in Universities:
A Compilation of Bahá'í Writings

He was greatly pleased and highly encouraged with your slow but
progressive work among members of the faculty and student body in
State College. It is high time for the Bahá'ís to try and reach the
thinking and educated youth of the country upon whom so much of the
future depends, especially the stupendous task of applying the spirit
and letter of the Bahá'í teachings to the requirements of the time - a
work for which generations of preparation might be necessary.
(From a letter dated 13 June 1928 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi
to an individual believer)
He was deeply interested in your work among the University students
and hopes that it will bear much fruit. The youth is open-minded,
unhampered by prejudice and ready to accept any message that satisfies
his spiritual longings as well as intellectual demands. The work
should, however, be both intensive and extensive. It is not sufficient
that you should address many student bodies; persons have to be found
to follow up that work, pick those who are interested to know more and
ground them in the teachings.
(From a letter dated 20 June 1931 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi
to an individual believer)
He was very pleased to hear of the progress being made; and that it
has been possible to give the Message to some of the "undergrads". It
is important that the Faith should be conveyed with a sense of dignity
at so important a university as Oxford; and better that the work
should go forward slowly than that any mistakes should be made.
(From a letter dated 25 December 1931 written on behalf of Shoghi
Effendi to the Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Oxford)
As to teaching work in colleges and universities, this is very
important, for students as a whole are open-minded and little
influenced by tradition. They would easily enter the Cause if the
subject is properly presented and their intellect and sentiments
properly satisfied. This, however, should be attempted only by persons
who have had university training and are, therefore, acquainted with
the mind of the intelligent and educated youth.
(From a letter dated 3 February 1932 written on behalf of Shoghi
Effendi to an individual believer)
Some of the items were of great interest to him, especially the part
which told of the contacts you have made with distinguished men and
invited them to speak at your meetings. This is an effective way to
make these take an active part in promoting the Faith and increasing
their knowledge of its spirit and basic teachings.
(From a letter dated 6 May 1932 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to
an individual believer)
The way we can hasten the development of this process [of guiding the
nations and intellectual men and leaders of society to a gradual
acceptance of His Message revealed through Bahá'u'lláh] is by doing
our share in spreading the words of God far and wide. Even though we
may not see any case of sudden conversion on the part of these
intellectuals, yet they are bound to be influenced in their views and
look to the Faith with greater admiration and more willing desire to
be led by its precepts. Shoghi Effendi, therefore, wishes me to
encourage you in your work, in sending appropriate literature to such
men of learning.
(From a letter dated 7 May 1933 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to
an individual believer)
The University training which you are receiving at present will be of
immense help to present the message in intellectual circles. In these
days when people are so sceptical about religion and look with so much
contempt towards religious organizations and movements, there seems to
be more need than ever for our young Bahá'ís to be well-equipped
intellectually, so that they may be in a position to present the
Message in a befitting way, and in a manner that would convince every
unbiased observer of the effectiveness and power of its teachings.
(From a letter dated 5 May 1934 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to
an individual believer)
The Cause needs more Bahá'í scholars, people who not only are devoted
to it and believe in it and are anxious to tell others about it, but
also who have a deep grasp of the teachings and their significance,
and who can correlate its beliefs with the current thoughts and
problems of the people of the world. The Cause has a remedy for all
the world's ills. The reason why more people don't accept it is
because the Bahá'ís are not always capable of presenting it to them in
a way that meets the immediate needs of their minds. Young Bahá'ís
like yourself must prepare themselves to really bring the message to
their generation who need it so desperately and who can understand the
language it speaks so well.
(From a letter dated 21 October 1943 written on behalf of Shoghi
Effendi to an individual believer)
Having on his own initiative, and undaunted by any hindrances with
which either friend or foe may, unwittingly or deliberately, obstruct
his path, resolved to arise and respond to the call of teaching, let
him carefully consider every avenue of approach which he might utilise
in his personal attempts to capture the attention, maintain the
interest and deepen the Faith of those whom he seeks to bring into the
fold of his Faith. Let him survey the possibilities which the
particular circumstances in which he lives offer him, evaluate their
advantages, and proceed intelligently and systematically to utilise
them for the achievement of the object he has in mind. Let him also
attempt to devise such methods as association with clubs, exhibitions
and societies, lectures on subjects akin to the teachings and ideals
of his Cause such as temperance, morality, social welfare, religious
and racial tolerance, economic co-operation, Islam, and Comparative
religion, or participation in social, cultural, humanitarian,
charitable and educational organizations and enterprises which, while
safeguarding the integrity of his faith, will open up to him a
multitude of ways and means whereby he can enlist successively the
sympathy, the support, and ultimately the allegiance of those with
whom he comes into contact.
(The Advent of Divine Justice [Wilmette: Bahá'í Publishing Trust,
1984] p. 51)
It is in intellectual circles such as this [a university circle] that
the believers should endeavour to teach, confident that no matter how
limited their capacity may be, yet their efforts are continually
guided and reinforced from on high. This spirit of confident hope, of
cheerful courage, and of undaunted enthusiasm in itself, irrespective
of any tangible results which it may produce, can alone insure the
ultimate success of our teaching efforts.
(From a letter dated 31 October 1936 written on behalf of Shoghi
Effendi to an individual believer)
Young men and women in the Faith must be deep and thoughtful scholars
of its teachings, so that they can teach in a way that will convince
people that all the problems facing them have a remedy.
(From a letter dated 12 May 1944 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi
to an individual believer)
It seems what we need now is a more profound and co-ordinated Bahá'í
scholarship in order to attract such men as you are contacting. The
world has - at least the thinking world - caught up by now with all
the great and universal principles enunciated by Bahá'u'lláh over 70
years ago, and so of course it does not sound "new" to them. But we
know that the deeper teachings, the capacity of His projected world
order to re-create society, are new and dynamic. It is these we must
learn to present intelligently and enticingly to such men!
(From a letter dated 3 July 1949 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi
to an individual believer)
When studying at school or university Bahá'í youth will often find
themselves in the unusual and slightly embarrassing position of having
a more profound insight into a subject than their instructors. The
teachings of Bahá'u'lláh throw light on so many aspects of human life
and knowledge that a Bahá'í must learn, earlier than most, to weigh
the information that is given to him rather than to accept it blindly.
A Bahá'í has the advantage of the Divine Revelation for this age,
which shines like a searchlight on so many problems that baffle modern
thinkers; he must therefore develop the ability to learn every thing
from those around him, showing proper humility before his teachers,
but always relating what he hears to the Bahá'í teachings, for they
will enable him to sort out the gold from the dross of human error.
(From a letter dated 10 June 1966 written by the Universal House of
Justice to Bahá'í Youth in every Land)
The Bahá'í students are indeed in an excellent position to impart the
fundamental verities of the Faith to their fellow students, and even
further abroad, for undergraduates are expected to discuss with each
other all the grave problems of the day, and the way is open for
Bahá'ís to acquaint many of the future leaders of mankind with the
history, tenets, and society-building power of the Faith.
(From a letter dated 11 January 1981 written on behalf of the
Universal House of Justice to the Bahá'í Society of Edinburgh
University)
National Bahá'í Communities have organized and successfully conducted
inter-religious conferences, peace seminars, symposiums on racism and
other subjects on which we have a specific contribution to make, often
achieving widespread publicity and the interest of highly placed
leaders of society.
(From a letter dated Riván 1987 written by the Universal House of
Justice to the Bahá'ís of the World) of highly placed leaders of
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 05:10:27 UTC
Interesting that Paul Hammond claims to have studied neuroscience.

Seena Fazel (author of Baha'i university handbook sent previously)

http://www.psychiatry.ox.ac.uk/forensic/seena-fazel

Seena Fazel
Seena Fazel is Clinical Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry and
Honorary Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist with Oxfordshire and
Buckinghamshire Partnership Mental Health NHS Trust.
External appointments include visiting research fellow at the Centre
for Violence Prevention, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, and member of
the Mental Health Reference Group of NACRO (National Association for
the Care and Rehabilitation of Offenders).
Clinical work is based at Wenric House Forensic Rehabilitation Unit,
Littlemore Mental Healthcare Centre, Oxford, and includes assessment
and management of mentally disordered offenders, risk assessment,
continuing care of forensic inpatients, elderly sex offenders, fitness
to stand trial.
Research interests include the epidemiology of mental illness and
violent crime, assessment of competence (capacity), mental disorders
in prisoners, and suicides in custody. For a list of recent
publications, follow this link.

http://www.neuroscience.ox.ac.uk/directory/seena-fazel

Seena Fazel BSc (Hons), MBChB, MRCPsych, MD
Clinical Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry
Use of epidemiological investigations to establish risk factors for
violent crime and sexual offending in high-risk groups and the general
population. Suicide in prisoners is another research theme.
Research Areas
Medical Sciences Division Themes
Neuroscience
Behavioural Science
Clinical Epidemiology
Neuroscience Sub-Themes
Human Psychology, Mental Health and Psychiatry
Neuroscience Keywords
Schizophrenia
Psychopharmacology
Personality Disorders
Epidemiology
Drug Addiction
Depressive Disorders
Cohort Studies
Bipolar Disorder
Addiction
Group Members
Adrienne Rivlin, Doctoral student
Lisa Marzano, Research assistant
Collaborators
Dr Niklas Langstrom, Centre for Violence Prevention, Karolinska
Institute
Professor Martin Grann, Department of Forensic Psychology, Stockholm
University
Web Personal Website
Department Department of Psychiatry

Forensic psychiatry research includes a number of projects in prison
health, epidemiology of mental illness and violent crime, forensic
services, older criminals, and suicide in offenders.
Close links exist with the Centre for Suicide Research and a number of
recent projects on suicide in prisoners involve collaboration with
Professor Keith Hawton. There are a number of projects ongoing with
the Social Psychiatry group headed by Professor Tom Burns, and with
the Centre for Violence Prevention, Karolinska Institute (Dr Niklas
Langstrom, Director; Dr Martin Grann, Dr Gabrielle Sjostedt)
Awards Training and Qualifications
2007 Clinical Senior Lecturership, HEFCE
2003 John Hamilton Travelling Fellowship, Royal College of
Psychiatrists
2002 Philip Davis Prize in Old Age Psychiatry, Royal College of
Psychiatrists
Selected Publications
Fazel Seena, Sjostedt Gabrielle, Langstrom Niklas, and Grann Martin
(2007) Severe mental illness and risk of sexual offending in men: a
case-control study based on Swedish national registers. J Clin
Psychiatry, 68(4):588-96.
Fazel Seena and Grann Martin (2006) The population impact of severe
mental illness on violent crime. Am J Psychiatry, 163(8):1397-403.
Fazel Seena, Bains Parveen, and Doll Helen (2006) Substance abuse and
dependence in prisoners: a systematic review. Addiction, 101(2):
181-91.
Fazel Seena, Benning Ram, and Danesh John (2005) Suicides in male
prisoners in England and Wales, 1978-2003. Lancet, 366(9493):1301-2.
Fazel Seena and Grann Martin (2004) Psychiatric morbidity among
homicide offenders: a Swedish population study. Am J Psychiatry, 161
(11):2129-31.
Grann Martin and Fazel Seena (2004) Substance misuse and violent
crime: Swedish population study. BMJ, 328(7450):1233-4.
Fazel Seena and Danesh John (2002) Serious mental disorder in 23000
prisoners: a systematic review of 62 surveys. Lancet, 359(9306):
545-50.
Fazel Seena, Vassos Evangelos, and Danesh John (2002) Prevalence of
epilepsy in prisoners: systematic review. BMJ, 324(7352):1495.
Fazel S, Hope T, and Jacoby R (2000) Effect of cognitive impairment
and premorbid intelligence on treatment preferences for life-
sustaining medical therapy. Am J Psychiatry, 157(6):1009-11.
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:02:38 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Helen_Clark_(politician)

Evidence of Helen Clark's latent toryism
Not convinced, personally. As someone who grew up in Peterborough, and
a usual Labour voter, I reckon I might support giving Brian Mawhinney
the freedom of the City of Peterborough myself. Mawhinney was
Peterborough MP for a long time, and I think people of all political
persuasions could respect the contribution he made to the city over a
long career as our MP. WE need more to go on than that.
I hadn't heard that Clark had become a tory until I read it here. It
might be interesting, especially in this context, to mention that
Matthew Norman used to frequently make fun of Clark's ultra-loyalty to
Blairism, in his Guardian column. He called her "the android MP for
Peterborough" - taking her as a representative face of "Blair's
babes", who in the days when Tony had a big majority and everyone
liked him used to vote for whatever he said. PaulHammond 11:27, 13
November 2005 (UTC)
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:03:16 UTC
http://www.faqs.org/ftp/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/soc/soc.religion.unitarian-univ

***@liverpool.ac.uk (Mr P.A. Hammond)
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:03:43 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Peterborough/Archive_1

btw - I hope I don't now find that while there is a fannish site for
Scumbridge there is none for my team, The Posh. PaulHammond 05:21, 9
Jan 2005 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=20050401161446&target=PaulHammond

10:45, 31 March 2005 (hist) (diff) Keele University ‎ (→External
links: added links to FY info at Keele site)
10:31, 31 March 2005 (hist) (diff) m Keele University ‎ (→Dual honours
system)
10:30, 31 March 2005 (hist) (diff) Talk:Keele University ‎
10:27, 31 March 2005 (hist) (diff) Keele University ‎ (copyedit. FY
info added.)

I've heard a rumor about Mahmoud Abbas that he's a Baha'i, this should
be researched and confirmed, if so, we should add him to the list of
Baha'is. :) Any comments? --Agari 14:36, Dec 15, 2004 (UTC)
I've heard that this was a rumour put about by Mossad in order to
discredit him, and I recall people posting (on usenet Baha'i sites I
regularly read) articles where he denies this. So, no he shouldn't be
added to lists of Baha'is. I can try to look up those posts if anyone
is interested. PaulHammond 22:20, 9 Jan 2005 (UTC)
All Bad
2009-02-20 23:33:48 UTC
"Ruhaniya" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

AB: Now you've got the goods on Paul; all along he has been setting the
record straight against the disiformation campaigns of your MOSSAD and
Hizbollahi masters.

AB: Your Abu Mazen propaganda for Mossad should be added to your
Sourcewatch.org article.

- All Bad
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:04:08 UTC
Neuroscience Letters : Occipital afferent activation of second ...
... sections were placed in ABC-peroxidase complex (Vector
Laboratories Ltd, .... Paul Hammond for his technical support. The
work has been supported by the ...
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0304394006004307 - Similar pages
by K Le Doaré - 2006 - Cited by 7 - Related articles - All 3 versions
Neurobiology of Disease : Hypothalamic activation after ...
... antibody (Vector Laboratories, Peterborough, UK) using PBG as a
diluent. .... The authors would like to thank Paul Hammond, Karen
Hoskin and David ...
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0969996104000786 - Similar pages
by L Benjamin - 2004 - Cited by 20 - Related articles - All 3 versions
More results from linkinghub.elsevier.com »
All Bad
2009-02-20 23:40:13 UTC
AB: I see the pattern. Moms chatting about their children over the fence.
Behrouz's Mom is so proud of him, getting his medical degree and doing a
year of volunteer work in New Guinea. Fehrouz's Mom is so proud of him,
getting his computer degree, and getting that $60K job at the high tech
company. Then there is Nima's Mom, nodding along silently as she thinks
about the Dole Bludger, or whatever professional skates are called in Oz,
and his two part time jobs, parrotting and playing a Hizbollahi boogeyman on
the internet for Israel, and more parrotting and online intimidation of
bahoovyeyeyeys for the IRI, but even together, even under the counter, it is
not enough for him to move out and support a wife. Oh well. We can all
understand that Nima is jealous of men who can support themselves...

AB: Play it again, W.

Ruhaniya
2009-02-21 03:02:37 UTC
On Feb 21, 9:40 am, "All Bad" <***@md.metrocast.net>
wrote:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pat_Kohli

Pat Kohli, or Patrick Kohli, is a member of the Haifan Baha'i Faith
who makes regular contributions to the USENET newsgroup
talk.religion.bahai and "is a computer scientist assigned to 4.5.3.3.
He works for PMA-231 as the Open Architecture (OA) IPT lead, in the
OA/
FORCEnet IPT of the Network Centric Warfare IPT. Prior to this he
worked at Saint Inigoes for 4.5 and developed a prototype next
generation flight data recorder, using COTS components, to meet
incident reporting, maintenance and FOQA needs. Pat also supported
the
old PMA-282 which did weapon control systems for guided missiles. Pat
has an MS in computer Information Systems from Florida Tech." [1]

"Pat Kohli, NCW Open Architecture Lead, demonstrated how the E-2/C-2
program office (PMA-231) is continuously evaluating and implementing
software modernization to facilitate transition of the existing E-2
operational flight program to an environment using commercially
available systems. Venlet said, "The Naval Aviation Enterprise has
embraced open architecture as a fundamental building block of weapon
system development from its very inception. Our government/industry
teams continue to leverage these open system strategies and concepts
in achieving reduction in overall development cycle times and
delivering increased system capabilities to the Fleet faster and
cheaper. The advantages of integrating open architecture designs and
contracting strategies are measurable and pronounced as is
substantiated by our E-2D Advanced Hawkeye and P-8 Multi-Mission
Aircraft development programs. The key to continued success will be
maintaining the close partnership with industry experts, as we
provide
the right capabilities, at the right time and right cost to the joint
warfighter."The E-2 Hawkeye team has been representing and directly
supporting Venlet's executive office - the aviation domain lead for
open architecture initiatives - since June 2004, because of its role
as a battle management command and control platform and a central
network communications node in aviation. E-2 Program Manager Capt.
Randy Mahrsaid, "Today's evolving E-2 open architecture model paves
the way for a more mature system to be used by the E-2D prior to it
taking its place in the fleet." [2]

Pat Kohli has maintained a consistent web presence since the late
1990s, particularly on USENET, addressing both external critics and
dissenters within the Haifan Baha'i Faith tradition to which he
belongs.

[edit]References
↑ [1] accessed February 3, 2009.
↑ [2] accessed February 3, 2009

Retrieved from "http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pat_Kohli"
Categories: United States | Religion | Military

Reply Reply to author Forward

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Ruhaniya View profile
More options Feb 17, 4:01 pm

Newsgroups: talk.religion.bahai, soc.culture.iranian,
alt.religion.bahai, alt.religion.islam
From: Ruhaniya <***@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:01:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The SourcedWatched Pat Kohli
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
author
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pat_Kohli

Pat Kohli, or Patrick Kohli, is a member of the Haifan Baha'i Faith
[1]
who makes regular contributions to the USENET newsgroup
talk.religion.bahai[2]. He is a computer programmer who has worked on
software for various projects, including military systems.

Contents [hide]
1 Background
2 Articles and Resources
2.1 Related SourceWatch Articles
2.2 References
2.3 External Articles

Background
He "is a computer scientist assigned to 4.5.3.3. He works for PMA-231
as the Open Architecture (OA) IPT lead, in the OA/FORCEnet IPT of the
Network Centric Warfare IPT. Prior to this he worked at Saint Inigoes
for 4.5 and developed a prototype next generation flight data
recorder, using COTS components, to meet incident reporting,
maintenance and FOQA needs. Pat also supported the old PMA-282 which
did weapon control systems for guided missiles. Pat has an MS in
computer Information Systems from Florida Tech." [3]

[...]
taking its place in the fleet."[3]

Pat Kohli has maintained a consistent web presence since the late
1990s, particularly on USENET, addressing both external critics and
dissenters within the Haifan Baha'i Faith tradition to which he
belongs [5]. In 1998, he voted against the creation of the USENET
group, talk.religion.bahai, as an un-moderated discussion forum for
issues relating to the Baha'i faith [4]. Official discussion
regarding
the creation of this group may also be found at: [6]. He posts under
the handle All_Bad [5]

Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
References
↑ Letter from Assistant Secretary, Kishan Manocha, on Behalf of
National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the United Kingdom [1],
dated October 8, 2002, Accessed 17 February, 2009.
↑ Discussion Archive of USENET group Talk.Religion.Baha'i, [2],
Accessed February 17, 2009
↑ 3.0 3.1 Drema Ballengee-Grunst, "Assistant SecNav visits NAVAIR T&E
laboratory", November 10, 2005.
↑ Record of votes cast regarding the creation of the USENET group,
talk.religion.bahai,[3], Accessed February 17, 2009.
↑ Excerpt from USENET group talk.religion.bahai,[4], Accessed
February
17, 2009.
[edit]External Articles

Retrieved from "http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pat_Kohli"
Categories: United States | Religion | Military | War/peace
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:04:36 UTC
Few posts on Japan on his Wikipedia site, which I guess lends weight
to the photo of him with a T shirt with Japanese islands on it.

12:49, 14 June 2005 (hist) (diff) Talk:Nara, Nara ‎ (→Nara used to be
the capital of Japan)
12:48, 14 June 2005 (hist) (diff) Nara, Nara ‎ (information added from
article Nara period)
12:39, 14 June 2005 (hist) (diff) Nara, Nara ‎ (Sister cities listed
later, and not important enough to be noted so early.)
12:36, 14 June 2005 (hist) (diff) Talk:Nara, Nara ‎ (fact the Nara
used to be capital should be mentioned.)
12:35, 14 June 2005 (hist) (diff) Talk:Nara, Nara ‎ (fact the Nara
used to be capital should be mentioned.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nara,_Nara

Nara used to be the capital of Japan
I think this should be mentioned in the history section, probably in
the first sentence. At the moment, the only mention of this fact is
this oblique reference:
"Even after the capital moved to Kyoto in 784"
I don't know enough about the history to make this edit myself, but I
think the history section should begin something like "From (date),
Nara was the ancient capital of Japan, until (Emperor) moved the
capital to Kyoto in 784", then get into the detailed information.
PaulHammond 12:36, Jun 14, 2005 (UTC)
Found what I was looking for at the Nara period article. PaulHammond
12:49, Jun 14, 2005 (UTC)
Ruhaniya
2009-02-20 11:05:05 UTC
http://groups.google.com.af/groups/profile?enc_user=tt72dRYAAABDINT4t6rPjQGBcFnA9cycrkxtYqBAhL-fFRI9Q_H62A

***@liverpool.ac.uk

This person has not created a profile.
Name:

Location:

Title:

Industry:

Email address:

***@liverpool.ac.uk

Website or Blog:

Quote:

About me:

Recent Activity:
Activity in All 14 Groups -- 19 messages sci.math (4) rec.music.tori-
amos (2) soc.religion.quaker (2) soc.misc (1) misc.education (1)
rec.models.rc (1) news.misc (1) rec.games.mecha (1) alt.comedy.british
(1) alt.politics.homosexuality (1) alt.tv.simpsons (1) alt.atheism (1)
rec.music.christian (1) misc.education.home-...ol.christian (1)
WHAT keys?! rec.music.tori-amos Sep 8 1994
Lack of male fans? rec.music.tori-amos Sep 8 1994
Basic Question on Number REALMs sci.math Sep 2 1994
Science Humor sci.math Sep 2 1994
Well, it's evil, wicked, mean and nasty!
misc.education.home-...ol.christian Sep 1 1994
proposal: alt.usenet.slang rec.games.mecha Aug 15 1994
Declaration of War on Satan's BBSs soc.misc Aug 15 1994
Reading at Meeting (Was: Quaker Worship and Meditation?)
soc.religion.quaker Jul 23 1994
Proofs Was: Re: Students should learn what a function is sci.math
Jul 21 1994
Self Shaving Barbers sci.math Jul 21 1994
p***@onetel.net.uk
2009-02-20 19:34:52 UTC
1994, eh? The year I first encountered the internet - cos all us
postgrad students had passwords to get back into the department, and
access to nice computers at all hours.

Another happy year for me.

This post I made last week to a discussion with a Christian
fundamentalist about a programme on Darwin makes reference to
something that happened during that year too.

"<<Communism is actually militantly atheistic and anti Christian.>>

No, actually, it isn't. When I tried to organise an atheist speaker to
join a panel discussion involving speakers from different faiths, I
first phoned the Philosophy department, to be told that in fact, all
of the lecturers in that department were believers in one form or
another (some Christians, some Buddhists, possibly some others.)

I next turned to a person in my own department, mathematics, who I
knew from departmental gossip was a communist. His response to being
told that he MUST be an atheist because he was a communist was baffled
bewilderment. He said that being communist didn't necessarily entail
any particular attitude towards God - and that speaking for himself
belief or otherwise in God was something he'd always considered
irrelevant - and therefore he hadn't bothered himself much with
finding arguments against Him - and so he wouldn't be comfortable
appearing on my discussion panel as a witness for the atheist
viewpoint. I eventually settled on a young post-doc from Algeria,
whose atheism sprang up from opposition to that country's Muslim faith
rather than the more familiar (to me) opposition to a default
Christian belief. Interesting to me, but hardly relevant.

In short, I know from personal experience, and from the direct
testimony of a living convinced and professed Communist that positions
of "militant atheism" or "militant anti-Christianism" are NOT a
necessary and fundamental part of a communist orientation."

posted "4 days ago"

Also, during that year, I was a pretty regular attender at the
Liverpool Quaker Meeting House on Paradise street - hence the
appearance of soc.religion.quaker in my posting list...

Aor
2009-03-01 09:26:41 UTC

Aor
2009-03-01 09:26:31 UTC

p***@onetel.net.uk
2009-02-20 19:23:35 UTC
On 20 Feb, 05:10, Ruhaniya <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting that Paul Hammond claims to have studied neuroscience.

No, I didn't claim that actually.

The Department of Communications and Neuroscience didn't take
undergraduate students when I was a Keele University.

It'd be nice if you read what I wrote yesterday without putting words
into my mouth, Nima.

But thanks for the memories of my good friends, Robert and Naz Ghanea-
Hercock. Their wedding while I was still a student was the first
Baha'i wedding I attended. Good to be reminded of those happy times!

Cheers,

Paul

PS - you made a spelling mistake in your thread title too.
Ruhaniya
2009-02-21 03:01:18 UTC
On Feb 21, 5:23 am, ***@onetel.net.uk wrote:

"First, I do believe, based on Hammond's refusal to say why he is
interested in the Baha'i Faith and his frequent defense of the AO,
that he is probably working for them."

-- Eric Stetson, September 2003

> PS - you made a spelling mistake in your thread title too.

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R! Either way, we're on to you like it's going out of
style.

Aor
2009-03-01 09:25:55 UTC

Death to Haifan Bahaism